Tuesday 20 September 2016

One of those days..

It's funny. I went from a 9 year old ottb who had 47 starts under his belt to a 4 year old ottb with 6 starts all at the same track... the difference is astounding. You very much have to have patience... and more patience... and more patience....

Ozzy on the left the day we dropped him off with his new girl friend!
Tonights ride was... lack luster. I had some errands to run after work so didn't get on until about 650. This is cutting it super close to sunset and with the warm weather hanging around (I'm not complaining!!!!) mosquitos. There is definitely something I've discovered about Zeke. Flies the baby will work through. Mosquitos and his world is ending. He was bulging back to the barn... so violently shaking his head and biting at his sides he was almost throwing himself off his feet and even when I got off of him he just would not stand still.

I got about 20 minutes of good work and it just became not worth it. I was frustrated.. he was frustrated. No fun. Finally with some walk figure eights both directions where he didn't totally ignore my leg I called it quits.

It is really interesting how he rides at home (in a 100 x 200 foot pen that doubles as their turnout and is attached to the barn) vs anywhere else on the property or trailered over to my lesson barn. Anywhere else and he is all business. Here he always bulges that little bit extra... right turns are sketchy, you might as well not bother cantering to the right. In my lesson on Saturday all he wanted to do was cut in going to the right at the trot, was an angel to the left and had a stunning well balanced canter to the right where as to the left he was all over the place. There's nothing like them making a liar out of you right?

Sigh... Lesson learned? Don't even bother getting on after 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment